A Wisdom Seeker and a Heart Keeper


Oh, how I want to be a "wisdom seeker and a heart keeper." Below, I share the ways I'm being led to practice just that in my life. Do I fail? Oh, yes. But I'm determined to keep practicing! 

  • Seek wisdom. 

In times of conflict, confusion and chaos no matter where it's played out - in my own heart, family or community - I want to pray & receive wisdom. Then, use that wisdom to determine what and when to speak up or when to keep silent. 

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." - James 3:17 

  • Examine motivation. 

Everyone is motivated by something. Don't be blind to this. The motivation may be pure and loving or it may be self-serving and attention seeking. More often it's a mix. But before I'm too harsh with what I perceive the motivation of others, I ought to examine my own.

"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." - Proverbs 4:23 

  • Detest pride. 

I'm not talking about healthy confidence but "pride" in oneself that causes you to have a "know it all" or "never wrong" or "my way's better" attitude. First, I ought to deplore that kind of pride when I see it in myself. 

"A fool’s mouth lashes out with pride, but the lips of the wise protect them." - Proverbs 14:3 

  • Don't rush to judgment. 

Rarely is truth revealed right away. When we rush to judgment before a matter has unfolded, we usually end up falling in a ditch - either on one "side" or the "other." It's tempting to jump up on my little soapbox and spout off what I perceive "all ya'll" ought to do. It's better to "pause and pray before I sway" others with my words. I could be wrong. Possibly. It happens. 

"Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.” - John 7:24 


These are disciplines I'm trying my best to work into my life. I've been guilty of snap judgments in the past. Then I've needed to repent. I've been guilty of opening my big ol' mouth when I should have remembered sometimes silence really is golden. I've been guilty of getting my dander stirred when I should have walked away.  But maybe that's just me. All I know is, as a Believer and Follower of Jesus Christ, His Spirit IN me can make me better than "me."






Comments

  1. Melanie you are a woman of worth and wisdom. I value your words and treasure them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kelly! I feel the same about you.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post....thanks for the reminder to seek wisdom and ask the LORD to create a clean heart in me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts